Friday, February 1, 2013

A Week of Outings, Mess and Flooding

...and of course a week full of smiles! Hello lovely family and friends!



On Mondays I work at rg. After work another volunteer and myself decided to take two of the girls out for dinner and ice cream. First we got a big feed of their choice into their bellies and then off to Swensen's which is a massive ice cream cafe! The girls loved it and thoroughly enjoyed dressing up for the occasion. On Tuesday we took three of the girls out for lunch with us. This was a massive treat for them! While out in the fresh air they choose a "special" drink, a meal, fruit from fruit man and then some snacks as well! I am going to try do as many outings with as many different girls as I can while I'm here. The smiles I receive and the hugs are priceless!








On Wednesday I spent some time with some of the children in the sensory room. ff has a great set up and excellent resources in their daycare centre. The children love the different lights, sounds, textures on the floor and all of the toys which do crazy things when you push buttons or switches. It is also nice and relaxing and a great way to get some time to bond with the children.







Wednesday night all of us volunteers went out for dinner to farewell one of the girls who is leaving. Great company and great food!






Thursday... Well where do I begin! haha, We completed an activity with the children in the morning. We thought it would be fun to make T-shirts for ourselves and the children to wear with their hand prints on them. We didn't think it through very well, was paint here there and everywhere! Once it is on their hands, their hands were in their mouths, on the child next to them, in their hair, in my hair.... everywhere! but was great fun and the end result turned out fantastic. I didn't manage to get many photos of the children completing the activity, I was too busy preventing everything from turning purple haha.






So Thursday seems to be the day it rains in Thailand, and by rain i mean bucketing down non stop for about an hour and then it is magically clear again. We arrived home after a meeting to realise that the top floor of Sirin house had been flooded. Which happens to be where my room is... of course haha! My first thought was my laptop! i usually keep it on the floor next to my bed, but luckily that morning I left it on my mattress! So with no damage done we laughed if off and got mopping... lots of wet clothes, bags and beds but that can all be fixed.




Tomorrow (Saturday) there is a yard sale starting nice and early to raise money. I need to help out with that so no sleep in for me haha! Looking forward to a relaxing weekend after that, feeling rather exhausted. I also found out today that because my flights were delayed for such a long time on my trip over, i received free flights from my airline to the value of $300! I plan on using this credit to visit some of the beautiful Islands for a holiday just before I head back home. 

Looking forward to sharing more of my adventures as a volunteer soon! Xx



6 comments:

  1. Great update Carmsy! Hope the garage sale goes ok!
    Tash xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading the updates and seeing all the pictures of those special kids. Skype soon xoxox lots of love from all of us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear miss Reitsema
    Are you having fun with the children? Is it annoying and surprised that your room got flooded? what it scary when you had a scorpion on your head? do you like the yummy food they cook? Are you really missing us?
    At School our subjects are: english, math, food science,art & drumbeat.
    For sewing I am still making three coasters. In the holidays we took the boat to Albany and we stayed at sea wa cottages next the Vermeulen's house where they stayed. We did fishing and caught skipper,hering,gardine,flathead. My brother Liam caught the biggest hering!
    I miss you lots
    love from Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyssa!
      how lovely to hear from you! i am having a great time and doing lots of fun things with the children in Thailand, we love doing cooking altogether... have you done any cooking at shcool yet?

      It was very scary having a scorpion on my face! I think I was very brave, im glad it didnt nip me with its big nippers! I am loving all of the different yummy food, today i even learnt how to make some of it! Maybe i can do some Thai cooking with you and Joslyn when i get back next term.

      I am missing you heaps and heaps and heaps especially your giggle! I hope you are enjoying year 11 and that you and Josyln aren't being too much of silly wallys for the other teachers. Sounds like they are keeping you busy with all those subjects! I have been doing some drumming with the children over in Thailand too, they love it just as much as all of you!

      it sounds like you had a great holiday Alyssa! Pity it wasn't you that caught the biggest fish, did you eat Liam's fish?

      I hope you work hard and have lots of fun at school with everyone! Say hello to the others and give the teachers a cheeky tickle for me, but don't tell them i told you too hehe...

      Miss you and hope to hear from you soon
      Love Miss Reitsema xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Miss Reitsema.
    Are you having fun. I saw that you were holding a snake!
    I think snakes are cool. was it funny when your room got flooded or was it scary
    or annoying. Do you like the food you eat? Are you missing us?
    At school im making a quilt for child care. In the holidays i went to Esperance with the Harts. I went wave riding.
    Wave riding is when you go on a boogie bord and ride the wave to shore. I have to go now!
    Miss you, hope your having a great time!
    love from joslyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joslyn!

      Great to hear from you! I didn't mind holding this snake, it was small and not dangerous so i though that it was cool. It was a little scary at first when the room flooded, but once we knew everything was safe and no damage was done we all laughed and had fun sliding around on the wet slippery floor cleaning it all up!

      I love the food that i am eating! Lots of different yummy tasty things, maybe i can bring some treats back for you all to try some. I am missing you all tremendously! Are you enjoying the start of year 12? I hope you didn'g grow too much in the holidays you will be taller than me!

      Your holiday sounds amazing! I have not been wave riding before, sounds like lots of fun. I love Esperance, i went there a couple of years ago with my family. The beaches are very pretty but the water is freeeezing bbbrrrrr... not like here in Thailand, it is always so hot!

      I miss you too and hope you are behaving for all the teachers! I hope you and Alyssa aren't giggling too much and have lots of fun. Hope to hear from you soon. Maybe you can tell me about your new teachers and when you start RDA

      Love from Miss Reitsema xx

      Delete